It has been 10 years since the publication of the original Guidelines for the Assessment, Remediation and Management of Asbestos-Contaminated Sites in WA. These Guidelines are being updated with a consultation draft (Word 1.5MB) now released for review and discussion. While substantial changes have been proposed, the Guidelines aim to be consistent with the ASC NEPM.
A workshop is being planned for February 2020, just prior to the end of the consultation period, to discuss submissions and further progress the draft prior to finalisation and gazettal.
Updates will be provided on this page regarding the consultation process and proposed workshop.
- The application of the guidelines has evolved over time with feedback provided by interested stakeholders and users.
- There is now some improved understanding of asbestos in soil issues.
- There is better evidence on what works and what doesn’t for remediation and control.
- Misinterpretation has led to sometimes overcautious or under managed situations.
- Complementary guidance and legislation has been or is under review.
What is being updated?
- A new chapter has been added on how the Guidelines fit within the broader legislative framework.
- Clarification regarding site inspection methodology and site reporting requirements.
- Clarification on use and interpretation of analytical results.
- Greater focus on risk-based assessment.
- Increased focus on effective and site specific management plans.
- Introduction to how site specific criteria may be considered.
Depending on the submissions received the final approved document may be very different. Therefore, it is important to note that:
The contents of the consultation draft are not officially endorsed or authorised for use by any agency. Seek advice from the relevant regulatory agency before applying any part of this document.
- Persons may comment on any aspect of the document.
- Some links (highlighted in yellow) are not active and will be provided in a later draft.
- As the document is an early draft there may be some minor editorial issues. The purpose of this consultation draft is mainly to obtain feedback on the technical content and usability.
All submissions or enquiries are to be made to: [email protected] by 6 March 2020.
Persons making a submission are welcome to provide case-studies or photos for inclusion in the document. Any contributions will be acknowledged.
Current reviews of related legislation
The outcome of current WA legislation review programs may influence what is possible for the assessment and management of asbestos-contaminated sites. As such you may also wish to:
- monitor the regulation review program for the Public Health 2016, which will include an update on the Health (Asbestos) Regulations 1992
- comment on the development of work health and safety legislation in Western Australia (external site).