We’re reminding all licence holders about their obligations to ensure asbestos clearance inspections are carried out properly – for safety’s sake.
Please ensure the clearance inspection is undertaken by an independent competent person or an independent licensed asbestos assessor who:
- is independent of your business, isn’t involved in the asbestos removal work, and doesn’t have a perceived conflict of interest
- has asbestos removal experience and a VET course certificate CPCCBC5014A or a tertiary qualification in occupational health and safety, occupational hygiene, science, building, construction or environmental health.
You should also make sure:
- the assessor is satisfied asbestos is not visible in the removal area or its immediate surrounds
- the clearance certificate is issued before the area is re-occupied or before any further demolition or refurbishment work takes place
- the clearance certificate contains the information required by clause 474 of the Work Health and Safety Regulation 2017.
If you have any questions or concerns please contact us on 13 10 50.
Asbestos and Demolition Services
Better Regulation Division | Department of Customer Service